Revision as of 10:51, 31 October 2014 by The RedBurn (ZIM file is too big and new content -> at the top, +infos)
- Where can I find new content?
- Kiwix uses the ZIM format. We release our own ZIM files which are available for download in the Kiwix library (in the software). You can also use the Book creator on Wikipedia to generate your own ZIM files.
- My ZIM file is too big, what should I do?
- USB flash drives and memory cards are often formated using the FAT32 filesystem which can't store files bigger than 4GB. Kiwix is able to deal with 2GB splitted ZIM files. The splitted ZIM files must be named xxx.zimaa, xxx.zimab, xxx.zimac, etc. To split a ZIM file you may use:
- On Microsoft Windows: FSJ-Lite,
- On Apple Mac OSX: Split&Concat
- On GNU/Linux and with the console: split --bytes=2000M my_big_file.zim
- Why is Kiwix not available for PPC Macs?
- We do not have a PPC architectured Mac and this architecture is outdated.
- Is it possible to update a ZIM file?
- It is not possible to update a ZIM file itself, but you may download a new ZIM file with updated versions of the contents.
- How can I build a ZIM file by myself?
- To export articles from Wikipedia and other Wikimedia projects, please go to their Special:Book. For any other use case, this is unfortunately still too complicated (in short: parsoid needs to be installed, then mwoffliner + zimwriterfs). Please read this page if you want to have some information.
- How may I optimize the search engine index?
- Launch the script "./kiwix-compact" (only available on GNU/Linux) and this should reduce disk use by almost 50%
- How to install a pre-indexed ZIM file on Mac OSX?
- Move or copy the "data" directory in "/Applications/Kiwix.app/Contents/". You will probably need to go to the Kiwix "library" to load the ZIM content.
- Is there a user forum where kiwix users can exchange experiences and help each other?
- Yes, it is located at https://forum.kiwix.org
- I have downloaded a ZIP file (pre-indexed ZIM file) but I can't unpack it, the file seems to be corrupted. What should I do?
- Use an unpacking software which supports the ZIP64 format (ZIP format for big files), like for example 7-zip. If this still fails, then your file was corrupted during the transfer, please restart the download using Bittorrent, then it will work.
- I can't copy Kiwix on my USB flash drive because the index files (*.idx directory) are too big.
- USB flash drives are often formated using the FAT32 filesystem which can't store files bigger than 4GB. We recommend to use exFAT or NTFS which can deal with big files and is broadly supported.
- How can I launch Kiwix with a specific article?
- You need to launch Kiwix from the command line using the -articleByUrl option. For example:
kiwix.exe -articleByUrl "zim://A/foo.html" bar.zim