Hackathon Google Zurich 2018
This page summarizes the action plan for the Kiwix Google Zürich Hackathon 2018.
- Stabilize and optimize the ServiceWorker mode, to try to make it the default mode (on platforms that support it). This mode should be much more sustainable in the long term.
- Improve performance by using WebAssembly (on platforms that support it) for the bzip2 decompression. Preliminary tests let us hope around 30% performance improvement.
- Investigate on compiling the libzim to WebAssembly. If it's technically possible, it would allow to benefit from all the features and optimizations of this library, without the need of re-implementing them. If the people from Google know this technology, it might be a topic where they would be helpful.
- Work on 3.0
- Download improvements (improve stability)
- Search Improvements / Discussions
- Implement test code coverage report in Travis see https://github.com/kiwix/kiwix-android/issues/836
- Help to reduce the number of crashes occurring for our users. Isaac agree the download manager code is the epicentre of many of the problems and he's planning to revise it during the hackathon. I'm happy to help with testing the changes.
- Conclude preparation of projects for full automation and mwoffliner improvements
- Fix https://github.com/resin-io/etcher/issues/2274 if possible
- Release Kiwix-plug installer 2.0
~ 8 developers meet during a week to make a few steps forward.
The hackathon will take place in Zürich, Switzerland: 3 days @Google offices, the rest at the residency.
- September 16th afternoon: arrivals (suggested arrival time 5PM)
- September 17th -> 23th: Kiwix hackathon (17th -> 19th @Google)
- September 23th afternoon: departures (suggested departure time 3PM)
Dattaz Rashiq Matthieu Guillaume
- Accommodation: ~4500 CHF
- Travels: ~700 CHF (local)
- F&B: ~ 2500 CHF