Hackathon Spring 2017
This page summarizes the action plan for the Kiwix Spring Hackathon 2017.
- Setup the Android automated testing up and make a proof of concept
- Release a new version of Kiwix for Android (maybe a first version with multizim support?)
- Implement Wikimed Feedback solution
- Implement a solution to allow non-tech to launch/update Android custom apps
- More sophisticated bookmark
- Work on 2.3 release
- Consider possible ways to enable users to provide device-info such as storage locations to help us improve support for their devices.
- Scrappers (Python)
- Fix Gutenberg scrapper and generate new ZIM files
- Fix KALite ZIM export (for a first release)
- Create a fully automatized solution for Stackexchange projects ZIM files
- Scrapper Mediawiki (Nodejs)
- Implement Wikihow scrapper (non-parsoid Mediawiki scraper)
- Scrape categories
- Support videos (if Parsoid allows it)
- Release a new version of Phet Simulation with an improved UX
- Launch the first pure HTML ZIM read browser extensions (FF+Chrome)
- Fix fulltext search/indexes problems
- ZIM building
- Setup a ZIM building scheduler (with Celery?)
- Ideascube builder
- Get a Qemu Raspbian image ready in Travis
- Create a zim module for Apache (based on http://stackoverflow.com/questions/42605138/how-can-i-write-an-apache-module-in-c) Julian
Group Discussion Topics
During the hackathon we'd like to discuss various topics collectively. These include:
- UX and particularly Onboarding
- Desktop apps
- Incorporating analytics
We aim to agree a topic with about a day's notice so those who wish can do some preparation, e.g. reading up, sharing ideas and notes, etc.
UX & Onboarding
When: 14:00 ish Tuesday 4th April 2017
We believe large numbers of users only use the app briefly before abandoning it. There are various ideas why this might be so. Perhaps they don't understand what the app can do for them, or they may find it hard to get started. There may be problems downloading content, etc. Also, with our growth in custom apps, including non-Wikipedia content such as PhET simulations, perhaps the user interface, menu options, and some of the functionality is a poor fit for the content and capabilities. We'd like to discuss the UX, including onboarding (getting users from first starting the app to using it productively), and consider ways we might usefully improve the UX.
When: Wednesday 5th April 2017
Some repos already have automatic testing (unit tests and/or UI tests). Some other ones plan to add it.
We should discuss our experience/ideas on that topic, and see if we could do something in common.
A basic browser extension has been commited.
Before it is available from Google and Mozilla extensions system, it can be installed manually :
- Checkout the kiwix-html5 github repo (master branch)
- For Firefox :
- open a new tab with URL "about:debugging"
- click on "load a temporary module" and choose the "manifest.json" file from your local copy of the code
- For Chromium/Chrome :
- open a new tab with URL "chrome://extensions/"
- click on "developer mode" then on "load unpackaged extension" and choose the directory of your local copy of the code (where the "manifest.json" fil is)
- On both browsers, a Kiwix icon should appear on the right of the address bar
- If you click on this icon, it should open a new tab with the Kiwix application. You must then choose your ZIM file(s), and you should be able to browse it
- Updated dependencies and made it python3 compatible
- Parallelized long-running operations: download, parsing and export
- Fixed 3 bugs related to the scraping process
This hackathon gathers different kind of tasks which all in one will help to implement the Wikimed Projet and reach our goals in term of new content for 2017.
~ 10 developers meet during a week to make this steps forward.
The hackathon will take place in Lyon, France
- April 2th afternoon: arrivals (suggested arrival time 5PM)
- April 3th -> 9th: Kiwix hackathon
- April 9th afternoon: departures (suggested departure time 3PM)
- Travel + Accommodation
- Only Travel
- Located in Lyon
- Accommodation: ~4.000 CHF
- Travels: ~2.000 CHF
- F&B: ~3000 CHF
-> ~9.000 CHF