Jump to navigation Jump to search
Kiwix is an offline reader for multimedia contents. It's especially though to make Wikipedia available offline (see features).
- 2009-08-26 : I (Kelson) will be to the third openZIM dev. meeting at Basel the 20-22 November.
- 2009-08-12 : RC2 of Kiwix 0.8 (see CHANGELOG)
- 2009-08-10 : New micro blogging feed on Identi.ca to be kept informed about all last update on the dev. side. The feed is also visible on the Web site welcome page.
- 2009-08-06 : Code is officially freezed for version 0.8 and only a few bugs will be fixed until the final release. We are consequently now working on version 0.9 : first entry in the CHANGELOG is the introduction of the Hebrew localization.
- 2009-07-21 : Beta1 of the ZIM in Italian, that means 120.000 articles with thumbs.
- 2009-07-20 : First release candidat of v0.8... with as main improvement, the introduction of the user interface in arabic, a faster indexing process and a smaller index disk usage. (see the CHANGELOG).
- 2009-07-19 : alpha1 of a ZIM contenant all articles (almost 100.000) in the Wikipedia in Arabic
- 2009-07-16 : alpha1 of a ZIM contenant all articles in the Wikipedia in Burmese
- 2009-07-13 : I have prepared a ZIM version of the Wikipedia for schools selection. This selection was prepared by SOS Children’s Villages UK and has almost 5.000 articles in English with pictures (average resolution). The file is ~30% than the original one. At this occasion I have modified Kiwix to avoid indexing HTML pages with the NOINDEX meta tag.
- 2009-07-02 : A the end, again a Beta5 of Kiwix v0.8 with again a few bug fixes and improvements, especially the introduction of help and a new page caching. (see the CHANGELOG).
- 2009-06-18 : Beta4 of Kiwix v0.8 with again a few bug fixes (see the CHANGELOG). This will be probably the last beta version.
- 2009-06-17 : Third (and probably) last alpha of the Spanish selection with more than 120.000 articles.
- 2009-06-11 : Alpha2 of the italian selection with almost 30.000 articles.
- 2009-06-10 : Beta3 of Kiwix v0.8 with a few improvements and bug fixes (see CHANGELOG) .
- 2009-06-07 : Second beta of Kiwix v0.8 patching a critical bug impacting using of large ZIM files on 32 bits architectures (see CHANGELOG) .
- 2009-06-05 : Now people speaking English, Spanish or French will automatically see the Web site in their language.
- 2009-06-04 : I have add a Map where you can localized people involved in the project or simply using Kiwix.
- 2009-06-03 : Second alpha version of the Spanish selection with more than 80.000 articles. Next version will have 120.000 articles and will certainly be the last alpha revision.
- 2009-05-26 : Second alpha version of the French selection with more than 30.000 articles.
- 2009-05-25 : I (Kelson) will be in Berlin with the whole Openzim team at the LinuxTag, visit us!
- 2009-05-24 : First beta of Kiwix v0.8. No feature will be added anymore and since last alpha, a few bugs have been patched, especially concerning the search/indexing process.
- 2009-05-22 : First public ZIM alpha of a 30.000 articles big selection (with thumbnails) of Wikipedia Spanish articles.
- 2009-05-17 : First public ZIM alpha of the WP1 0.7 selection here: the ~30.000 best articles with thumbnails!
- 2009-05-03 : I'm now able to get for any Wikipedia, all articles sorted by importance. This is essential to build selections. If you are interested, take a look to this code or contact me.
- 2009-04-19 : I have published a short screencast of Kiwix 0.8 alpha3.
- 2009-04-18 : The zimlib was rewritten. New and "old" ZIM files are incompatible. I have published a new alpha3 version of Kiwix 0.8 (only for Linux) here and with Xulrunner included here. I have also prepared a few ZIM files: wikipedia_en_wp1_0.5_2000+_03_2006_rc1.zim, wikipedia_es_fa+ga_2000+_04_2008_alpha1.zim, wikipedia_it_fa_1000+_-4_2008_alpha1.zim.
- 2009-03-25 : The alpha2 of Kiwix is published 0.8 (only for Linux) here and with Xulrunner included here. Feedbacks are like always welcome. A ZIM test file may be downloaded here.
- 2009-02-25 : From now Kiwix uses the new ZIM format (see subversion repository).
- 2009-02-25 : First openZIM meetup was a success, please see the press release, next one will be at the LinuxTag 2009 in June, in Berlin.
- 2009-02-17 : Kiwix will certainly use Xapian as search engine the its next releases, I have started to commit code in this way.
- 2009-01-27 : I have make a small doc (in French) about the tools I'm using.
- 2009-01-21 : The 21/21 February, the Openzim first meeting will take place in Basel.
- 2009-01-12 : I have launched a BitTorrent tracker to reduce our bandwith usage. I hope it will be used. Metalink files were updated.