Difference between revisions of "Software"
(Added information about Kiwix JS)
(Windows text fix)
|Line 9:||Line 9:|
'''Kiwix for Microsoft Windows''' is available in
'''Kiwix for Microsoft Windows''' is available in formats:
* A [https://download.kiwix.org/
* A [https://download.kiwix.org//kiwix-.zip portable version] you can directly use after unzipping the file. -.
* For Windows 10 devices (PC, tablet, mobile), [https://www.microsoft.com/store/apps/9P8SLZ4J979J Kiwix JS] is a UWP app available from the Microsoft Store. Kiwix JS supports Windows 10 on any device: x64, x86 and ARM.</translate>
* For Windows 10 devices (PC, tablet, mobile), [https://www.microsoft.com/store/apps/9P8SLZ4J979J Kiwix JS] is a UWP app available from the Microsoft Store
Revision as of 06:12, 28 June 2019
Kiwix allows you to enjoy a lot of different content offline, without any access to internet. It's a desktop application, but we also release a HTTP server version called kiwix-serve. But before using Kiwix, you need to download it in accordance with the operating system you're using. Then, after starting Kiwix on your computer, you will be able to choose the content of your wishes in the Kiwix library and download it directly from Kiwix.
Kiwix for Microsoft Windows is available in two formats:
- A portable version you can directly use after unzipping the file. It is a 64-bit application and supports Microsoft Windows XP SP2 or later.
- For Windows 10 devices (PC, tablet, mobile), Kiwix JS is a UWP app available from the Microsoft Store. Kiwix JS supports Windows 10 on any device: x64, x86 and ARM. ZIM archives can be downloaded in the app.
Apple Mac OS X
Kiwix for Apple Mac OS X is provided as DMG file. You simply need to download it, mount the DMG image and copy/install Kiwix to the Applications folder. So far, there is no portable (directly usable on a USB flash drive for example) version of Kiwix for Apple Mac OS X.
Kiwix for Android is a version of Kiwix for all Android based mobile devices. It provides an easy way to enjoy Wikipedia and other ZIM files on all Android4+ devices. This app has a perfect Android look&feel and is extremely fast. Give it a try on Play Store or download directly the APK file.
Kiwix for Android is also available in alternative app stores like:
Kiwix for iOS is a new version of Kiwix. It provides an easy way to enjoy Wikipedia and other ZIM files on iPhone, iPad and all iOS8+ devices. This app has a perfect iOS look&feel and is extremely fast. Give it a try on iOS App store.
You first download the Kiwix program from the iTunes App Store to your device and then download the ZIM data files of your choice (for example: Wikipedia or Wikiquote).
You can download the ZIM file (or files) directly using the Kiwix App, but this may take a long time and is liable to errors. A faster and more reliable method is to use a computer to download the ZIM file from this web site then transfer the ZIM file to your iOS device using iTunes File Sharing.
Kiwix for GNU/Linux is a standalone application provided for the x86 architectures:
Unpack the downloaded file and run the "kiwix" program. If you have a 64 bits x86 system and try to run the 32 bits version of Kiwix, check that you have the multi arch support installed on your computer.
A few GNU/Linux distributions also provide packages of Kiwix:
Kiwix can run on almost every operating system. But, we don't provide pre-compiled binaries for all of them. If you are interested in running Kiwix on an operating system for which we don't provide binaries, you may download Kiwix source code and compile Kiwix on your own.