Revision as of 23:41, 7 January 2015
Downloaded kiwix-0.9+wikipedia_en_all_07_2014.zip via bittorrent, no problem. Then got these errors when trying to unzip:
UnZip 6.00 of 20 April 2009, by Info-ZIP.
file #1: bad zipfile offset (local header sig): 46155327025
UnZip 5.52 of 28 February 2005, by Info-ZIP.
warning: 46155327101 extra bytes at beginning or within zipfile
(attempting to process anyway)
error: start of central directory not found; zipfile corrupt.
(please check that you have transferred or created the zipfile in the
appropriate BINARY mode and that you have compiled UnZip properly)
Unzip 6.00 keeps going, but throws lots of errors; unzip 5.52 stops after what is shown above.
Bittorrent should of course do checksums itself, but I wanted to make sure. So I tried to look on the site for that md5sum, no luck. So tried the other way, did a local md5sum on the file, then searched that via google. That came up with
So the bottom line is for some reason the zipfile throws errors with what may be the most canonical unzip program. I'm now unziping via the "Keka" program, it seems to be going fine, but that may just be because it's ignoring the errors.
Also I find myself wanting to know the checksums of all of the files inside the zipfile.
I'm planning to put a link to the checksum on the front page. I'll also try unzipping with different tools on different platforms, if that works out all the same I'll post per-file md5sums, although someone who has access to the original files doing that would be better. It's also be good to know which program is used to make the zipfiles.
- I guess this is related to this... take a recent version of 7zip and it should work. Kelson (talk) 19:17, 7 January 2015 (CET)