Kiwix is an offline reader for Web content. It's especially intended to make Wikipedia available offline (see features). With Kiwix, you can enjoy Wikipedia on a boat, in the middle of nowhere... or in Jail. Kiwix manages to do that by reading ZIM files, a highly compressed open format with additional meta-data.
Kiwix uses the Mozilla framework and is available in more than 80 languages. It has full text search, tabbed navigation and possibility to export articles to PDF and HTML.
First of all, download Kiwix reader with regards to the operating system you're using. The size is fewer than 22 megabytes and no installations is required. You should only extract it and then go to the next section and download a Zim file.
Note: You can ignore this step if you are a Windows user and you want to download Portable Pre-indexed ZIM from the next section.
In order to read the Wikipedia articles offline, download the Zim file relating to the specific Wikipedia you want. There are several languages of Wikipedia available in the below table with their size and last-date update. For example, the English Wikipedia have been marked with a green color and there are two versions available for it. The first has 45000 pictured Good Articles till 2010 and the second has the whole articles without any images. (This information is clarified for every Zim file in the Number of articles column)
There are two options to download:
- non-indexed ZIM contains only a ZIM file and you may want to index it to be able to use the fulltext search.
- Portable Pre-indexed ZIM contains Kiwix application only for Windows with an indexed ZIM file. So you should download the Kiwix reader from the previous section if you're not a Windows user. The ZIM file may be split into several 2 gigabytes parts to be compatible with FAT32 filesystems.
Note: The Pre-index ZIM files could be copied in the different computers with Windows/Linux operating systems, Mac users may face with problems.
Note: There are two options to download for each non-indexed and pre-indexed versions:
- Direct download which downloads the file directly from Wikimedia servers.
- Bittorent which downloads the file with a torrent software.
|Last update||Size||Number of articles||Non-indexed ZIM||Portable Pre-indexed ZIM|
|Dec-2010||3.7 GB||45.000||↓ Download (md5)|
|Jan-2012||10 GB||All (no pictures)||↓ Download (md5)|
|→ Full list with all languages...|
- Report a bug or request a feature.
- Email: contact (at) kiwix.org
- Mailing-list (public archive):
- Jabber: kelson (at) kiwix.org
- IRC: #kiwix on irc.freenode.net join or use web interface