Talk:WMF UX Improvement Effort
Jump to navigation Jump to search
Call for Feedback
Please give us feedback on Kiwix! There are multiple ways to contribute feedback, depending on your preferences:
- Right here on the talk page below (set up a user account, go to the section of this page with your operating system, click "edit", and add your comments!)
- Go to Kiwix bug page on Sourceforge and file a bug
- Email firstname.lastname@example.org with notes (positive or negative!)
Thanks for your help in improving this product!
It would be great if users who wanted to give feedback could either edit it here OR send a mail. Perhaps kiwix-feedback@ ? Tomasz 04:06, 18 August 2011 (CEST) I have created email@example.com pointing to ML firstname.lastname@example.org (private) where you, Jessie and me are there as reader. Kelson 21:24, 18 August 2011 (CEST) Highlight the content manager on first load. Have a giant arrow similar to drop box install that shows where it is. Tomasz 21:47, 23 August 2011 (CEST) Fully agree, at least if the user is online... but do you have a screenshot of dropbox install? I do not use such things... Kelson 21:53, 23 August 2011 (CEST) Implemented, if no local content detected, load the content manager instead of the help page (first start use case). Kelson 08:43, 25 August 2011 (CEST)
- When I select "Report a Bug" from the "Help" menu, it opens a "Launch Application" box and tells me to "Choose an Application." However, when I try to "Chose," it won't allow me to search for any sort of application! This may be a problem with Linux, but I think it might be a bug in reporting a bug!... (note: same is true for "Request Feature") Jwild 20:54, 1 September 2011 (CEST)
- This is not a bug, but the current solution is really not handful. You need to go to /usr/bin/ to find the firefox binary (for example). This problem occurs also by opening an external link in an article. This seems to be a GNU/Linux specific problem and is already tracked with this feature request. Kelson 20:58, 1 September 2011 (CEST)
- In the Content Library, is the reported article count correct? For example, one collection I made myself with 16 articles, says "(17 articles)" in the file's description in "My Library." More drastically (and actually, why I first noticed it), The Wikipedia 0.8 collection proclaims itself to have "45.000 best articles...", yet it says "(139.462 articles)"! Is there a way to check that? Jwild 20:34, 1 September 2011 (CEST)
- This is wrong and right! Redirects are included (and I think it shouldn't. See this bug report Kelson 20:50, 1 September 2011 (CEST)
In Library in the library sections "My Library" and "Get New Files", neither the down or up arrow keyboard strokes work to navigate. This would certainly make it more user-friendly! Jwild 20:34, 1 September 2011 (CEST) 100% agree, see this feature request Kelson 20:50, 1 September 2011 (CEST) Implemented Kelson 22:16, 3 September 2011 (CEST)
- Files that have been deleted on disk still show up in content manager. Perhaps we can grey these out or remove them all together?
- Yes... interesting. Have to think about that. Kelson 14:27, 19 August 2011 (CEST)
- remove them all together would be great!! Jwild 03:54, 18 August 2011 (CEST)
- Hmm... not really enthusiastic about that feature request. Sounds dangerous, I do not really see the use case and do not know how to integrate it correctly in the user interface. Have to think more... Kelson 14:27, 19 August 2011 (CEST)
for pages with italicized titles, the tab titles render strangely (for example, The Lion King = " The Lion King") Jwild 03:54, 18 August 2011 (CEST) I can not reproduce the problem, here is the issue. What is the file you use exactly? Here is was I get : http://tmp.kiwix.org/tmp/screenshot_italic_title_issue.png Kelson 21:52, 18 August 2011 (CEST) I added a note to the sourceforge bug that I filed awhile ago which contains the picture and the information. I am using Kiwix 0.9 beta 2 with th en wikipedia 0.8. Jwild 03:03, 19 August 2011 (CEST) I understand now. The problem is that you use a dev. version of the WP1 0.8 ZIM. This bug was already fixed many months ago and is in the ZIM builder script, not in Kiwix. Kelson 08:00, 19 August 2011 (CEST) Is it possible to add the keyboard shortcuts to close tabs (CTRL+W) and navigate between tabs (CTRL+Page Up or CTRL+Page Down)? Jwild 03:54, 18 August 2011 (CEST) I can also not reproduce that problem, CTRL+w (close current tab) and CTRL+W (close all tabs) were implemented in beta2 and work for me. Il will implement the other shortcuts. Kelson 21:57, 18 August 2011 (CEST) ok, I went through and tested and re-tested...it closes sometimes but not consistently (nor often). For example, if I have 3 tabs open and press CTRL+W (close all tabs), it asks if I want to do that. If I press "No", then I cannot use "CTRL+W" again if those same 3 tabs are open (if I open a 4th, then it will register that request again). For the CTRL+w: if I open three tabs in a row, then move back to one of the previous tabs (1st or 2nd), I cannot use the shortcut on any tab.Jwild 03:03, 19 August 2011 (CEST) Thx for the explanation. Problem understood. Will be fixed. 14:22, 19 August 2011 (CEST) Everyting fixed and implemented :) Kelson 21:21, 19 August 2011 (CEST) Start a content manager download. Then go to "My library" and delete a file. You'll notice that your download has stopped. We should keep downloading it in the background regardless of what i'm doing. Tomasz 19:22, 18 August 2011 (CEST) Visual artefact. Will fix the bug Kelson 14:22, 19 August 2011 (CEST) Fixed Kelson 16:14, 18 September 2011 (CEST)
- Great that I have the option of closing any of the tabs that I have open (was not the case in Beta1)! Jwild 03:54, 18 August 2011 (CEST)
- Love the new images showing up in the "Get New Files" library Jwild 03:54, 18 August 2011 (CEST)
hen a download finishes a window pops up that says "Download finished" .. followed by a second line of text saying the exact same thing. Fixed Kelson 16:24, 18 September 2011 (CEST)
- Opening an openZim file after Kiwix is already running causes a second window to load. The second window looks great and its content manager is correct. But the primary window does not have the newly opened collection leading to confusion.
- Yes, I think everything should run only in a Window... but I have had a look, this is not so trivial to implement. Kelson 18:20, 16 September 2011 (CEST)
- Logoes or figures do not show up for some libraries in the library content manager.
- These are old content without the newly mandatory metadata... they will be slowly replaced with new content (with icon). Kelson 14:20, 19 August 2011 (CEST)
- Tab buttons can be made the same as in Firefox 5 or 6, which looks much better.
- Yes, we still have to improve the UI design. Kelson 14:20, 19 August 2011 (CEST)